Getting a Schengen Visa from India is getting easier now that more and more Indians are travelling to Europe. In fact, in 2017 alone, 900,000 visa applications were submitted by Indians. Schengen Visa alone is giving people access to 26 countries of Europe with no further application process to travel between these countries.
What is Schengen Visa?
Before we get on to Schengen Visa, let me tell you about Schengen: Schengen is an agreement between 26 countries of Europe which allows you to travel amongst these 26 countries without restriction and with free movement.
Did you know?
As this agreement was signed in Schengen, Luxembourg, the name Schengen area or Schengen visa.
Schengen Visa is a sticker on your passport which gives you access to these 26 countries. Once you apply for the Schengen visa, you can visit any of the countries, not just that you can travel between all these countries. This is considered one of the largest free travel movement in the world.
Countries in the Schengen Agreement
Schengen Visa for Indians
Indian Passport Holders need a Schengen visa in order to travel across these 26 European countries. They need to attend Biometrics interviews as well.
Process of Applying for Schengen Visa
The process for applying for Schengen visa can be a tedious one, but at Blinkvisa we all make it easy. If you’re located in Bangalore, then you don’t even have to leave your home as we’ll send someone to pickup up the documents, fill up the forms, and complete all formalities on your behalf. The process is simple, all you have to do is register on Blinkvisa, pay the initial amount and your process will get started.
- Visit Blinkvisa.com
- Pay an initial amount of INR 1000 and book an appointment for the pickup of documents.
- You’ll get a call from our visa experts who will guide you in deciding which visa you require, as well as which documents may be required.
- Once the executive collects the documents and passports, he/she will fill up the application form.
- When this stage is complete, the application form will be emailed to you for verification. When you verify and confirm the details, the passport and documents will be returned to you.
- Blinkvisa will also fix an appointment at the VFS for a personal interview.
- A personal interview and biometrics are necessary for first-time Schengen visa applicants.
- After the interview, the passport with the approved visa will be sent to the address provided in your application.
Why choose Blinkvisa to apply for Schengen Visa?
- Cashback & Money Saving
Blinkvisa takes on all your trouble away by applying for a visa on your behalf. In addition to this, when you pay the initial fee for the registration, you’ll get the entire Schengen visa fee right back in your wallet instantly as cashback. This cashback can be used to book flights, hotels, and activities.
- Save Time
When you are applying for Schengen visa by yourself, you will have to do a little digging on the visa type required and purpose, documents required, which embassy or consulate to apply for, and more. But when you go through Blinkvisa, our experts are already aware of the entire process and requirement and can recommend you the entire itinerary as well.
Who can apply for Schengen Visa in India?
European Union (EU) countries have established the embassies all over India for ease of access to applying for the visa. They take care of the applications applied from Indian Passport Holders.
Only the following are eligible to file their visa applications from India via the Schengen embassies/consulates/VACs:
- Indian Passport Holders
- Nationals of third countries who are currently residing in India on permanent or temporary resident permit
Which Schengen states decide my Visa Application?
Depending on the case, you will have to apply from a particular embassy:
- The particular country in Schengen Zone which you’re going to visit and no other country.
- The particular country in Schengen Zone where you’ll be staying for a longer time than the others.
- The country in Schengen Zone from where you intend to enter the country
Application Process for Schengen Country with No embassy in India
If the country you wish/need to visit doesn’t have embassy/consulate/VAC in India, or is currently not issuing visas due to certain reason; in this case, you can apply to the embassy who’s representing the country you want to visit. Based on the below details, you can apply at a particular consulate, or you can simply contact Blinkvisa and let us take care of everything.
|Preferred Destination||Departure From (Optional)||Consulate|
|Greece||Goa, India||Portuguese Consulate General in Goa, India.|
|Slovakia||Mumbai, India||Hungarian General Consulate in Mumbai, India.|
|Slovenia||Goa, Indian||Portuguese Consulate General in Goa, India.|
|Iceland||Anywhere||Danish Embassy in New Delhi, India.|
Different Types of Schengen Visa
1. Universal Schengen Visa (USV)
This is the most common type of visa, categorized into:
I) Type “A” (Airport Transit Visa)
II) Type “C” (Short Term Visa)
- Single Entry Visa
- Double Entry Visa
- Multiple Entry Visa:
2. Limited Territorial Validity (LTV)
3. National Visa or Type “D”
The Schengen Tourist Visa is the most popular visa among Indians. To know more about visa types available for Indians in detail, you can visit Schengen Visa.
Fee for Schengen Visa for Indians
The fee for Schengen visa stays the same no matter which country you apply for and from which country:
|Child (Below 6)||Free|
Please note that the exchange rates are dynamic so to get current, you can go online to check the exchange rates.
The fee waiver can be done for a few individuals however it is the sole authority of the Embassy:
- Child below 6 years of age
- Students as well as accompanying children who undertake the journey of education
- Indian researchers travelling for the sole purpose of scientific research
- Up to 25-year old representatives of Non-Profit organizations travelling as participants in seminars, sports, or cultural events organized by Non-Profit organizations.
This can also be optionally done for the following:
- Holders of diplomatic and service passports
More information for Fee Waiver can be found on that member state website of the embassy you apply.
Documents Required for Schengen Visa for Indians
- Passport – No older than 10 years and at least three months validity after leaving from Europe
- Visa Application Form – Fill it completely and accurately. You can also fill it online and then print it.
- It is also recommended to take two printed copies with you
- Photos – Two recently taken passport-sized photos with at least 80% face visible on a light background
- Evidence of Legal Residence in India – National ID card or residence permit
- Medical Insurance – For at least 30,000 Euro (Medical evacuation must be covered)
- Covering Letter – Explaining the reason for visiting and full itinerary
- Proof of Accommodation – This must cover the entire duration of your stay in Europe
- Proof of Civil Status – Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate of Children if applicable, Death Certificate of Spouse (if deceased), Ration Card
- Proof of Sufficient Financial Means – Bank statement for the last three months with sufficient funds
Additional required documents based on Employment Status
- Employment contract
- Bank statement of latest 6 months (Online Bank statements are not acceptable).
- Leave approval letter from Employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license in India/GST Certificate
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Proof of Enrolment
- No-Objection-Certificate from your Indian School or University
- Pension statement for the last six months
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. When can I apply for Schengen Visa from India?
The earliest you can apply for is before 3 months from the intended date of travel and the latest you can before 15 days. The recommended time is around 3 weeks before.
2. Can an Indian living in the UK apply from Schengen visa from there?
Indian Passport Holders who have been living in the UK for more than three months and hold a valid UK residence permit can apply for Schengen visa from the UK.
3. Can Schengen visas be extended?
No, as per normal circumstances, Schengen visas are non-extendable. You must leave the country on or before it expires.
4. What is the minimum balance to have to avail the Schengen visa?
Visitors must have at least INR 1,70,000 to 2,50,000 to travel to with the help of a Schengen visa.
5. We are a family of three applying for Germany visa. Can I represent my family during the visa interview?
Every applicant in the family must make an appointment for the interview and attend the same in person. Nobody can represent the family.