Borstal Institution, Detained, Inmate, Security of Good Behaviour
AnAct lomake provision for the establishment andregulation of
BorstalInstitutionsin6paryana]and for the detention and training
of adolescent offenders therein.
WHEREASit is expedient to makc provision for the establishment Preamble.
and regulationof Borstal Institutions in 6[Haryana] and for thedetention
- For thc Staremcnl of Objecfs and Reqons, see Purljob Gaett~…1926,Part I, Pages
579-80, andfor Proceedings in Councc seePunjabLegislative Council Debates,
Volumc IX-B,pages 1111-12. It came hohrcc on Is1 Augut, 1332.
- See Prrnjah Gazette, 1926, pages 809-15.
- For Statcmcnt of Objectsand Reasons, seePt~njabGazerte(Exha.) 1964,Pages
- For Statement of Objects and Reasons, see Alr@b Gazette (Extra.) 1358,
- See Haryotio Government Gazette (Exha.) dated 29th October, 1968.
- Substituted for Ole word “Punjab” by [he Adaptation of Laws Order, 1968.
- For Statement of objects and reasons, see Ha~yarlaGovernment Gnzerre
(Extraordinary) dated 24-2-1973,Page 200.164
[I926 :Pb.Act XI
and training of adolescent offenders therein; and whereas the
previous sanction of the Governor-General under sub-section (3)
of section80-A ofthe Government ofhdiaAct has been obtained;
It ishereby enacted as follows :-
- (I) ThisActrnaybecallcdfhePunjabBorstalAct,1926.
(2) It extends to [Haryana].
(3) It shall come into force [in the principal territories ]
onsuch date as the 3[State] Government may be no~cationappoint
in this behalf 2[and in the transferred territories on the 15th May,
Definitions. 2. In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the
subject or context,-
(1) “Borstal Institution” means a place in which
offenders may be detained under tllis Act and given
sach industeal training and other instruction and
subjected to suchdisciplinary andmord influences
as will conducelot hcjr reformation;
(2) “detained” means detained in, and “detenlion”
means “detention” in a Borstal Institution;
(3) ‘cinmate” means any person ordered to be
(4) “offence” means-
(i) an offence punishable with transportation or x~v
rigorous imprisonment under the Indian PcnaI -of
Code other than- 1860.
(a) an offence pcnishable with death ;
(71) an offence punishable under Chapter V-A
or Chapter VI of thc said Code ;
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information by Blinkvisa. The contents of this document have been obtained from sources Blinkvisa believes to be reliable. These contents have not been independently verified, and PRS makes no representation or warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or correctness. In some cases the Principal Act and/or Amendment Act may not be available. Principal Acts may or may not include subsequent amendments. For authoritative text, please contact the relevant state department concerned or refer to the latest government publication or the gazette notification. Any person using this material should take their own professional and legal advice before acting on any information contained in this document. Blinkvisa or any persons connected with it do not accept any liability arising from the use of this document. Blinkvisa or any persons connected with it shall not be in any way responsible for any loss, damage, or distress to any person on account of any action taken or not taken on the basis of this document.