Disability, Disabled Person, Welfare of Disabled Persons
he following Act of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly received the assent of the
i Governor on the 7th June 2007 and is hereby published for general information:-
Short title, extent and commence- ment. Definitions
ACT No. 18 of 2007.
An Act to provide for establishment of a Board for welfare of the
disabled persons in the State.
Bt- it enacted by the Legislative Assembly of the State of Tamil Nadu in the Fifty-eighth
Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
- (1) This Act may be called the Tamii Nadu Welfare Board for the Disabled
Persons Act, 2007.
(2) It extends to the whole of the State of Tamil Nadu.
(3) It shall come into force on silch date as the State Government may, by
- In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-
(a) “Board” means the Board established under section 3;
(b) “disability” . means,-
(i) visual impairment;
(ii) low vision;
(iii) hearing impairment;
(iv) locomotor disability;
(v) mental retardation;
(vi) mental illness;
(viii) cerebral palsy;
(x) multiple disabilities;
(c) -disabled person ‘ means a person suffering from not less than forty per
cent of any disability;
of Board. –
(d) “Fund” means a fund constituted under section 6; ‘
(e) “Government” means the State Government;
(f) -Member-Secretary” means the Member-Secretary of the Board;
(g) -prescribedw means prescribed by rules.
- (1) The Government may, by notification, establish a Board to be known as “the Establishment
Tamil Nadu Welfare Board for the Disabled Persons”, for implementing and administering
various welfare measures for the disabled persons.
(2) The Board shall be a body corporate with the name aforesaid, having
perpetual succession and common seal, with power to acquire, hold and dispose of
property, and to contract, and may, by that name sue or be sued.
(3) The Board shall consist of members nominated from time to time by the
Government representing the specialists or experts in the field of disability, the
non-governmental organizations and the associations which are concerned with disabilities
and the Government.
(4) The Chairman of the Board shall be the Minister in chzrge of Social Welfare
and the Vice-Chairman of the Board shall be the Secretary to Goverr~ment,Social Welfare
and Nutr~t~ousMeals Programme Department. The State Comm~ss~~~ner for the Disabled
shall be the Member-Secretary of the Board representing the Government.
(5) After nomination of all the members of the Board, the Government shall,
by notification, publish the names of all the members of the Board. 56 I TAMIL NADU GOVERNMENT GAZET r E EX I KAUKUI~VHKY
_ -_ ._
(6) The term of office of members of the Board shall be such as may be
(7) The meet~ngsof the Board and procedures to be followed for the purpose
and all matters supplemevtary or ancillary thereto shall, subject to the approval of the
Government, to’regulate by the Board Itself
Funct~onsof 4. (1) Subject to the availabil~tyof funds, the Board shall,–
(a) prov~defor the welfare of the d~sabledpersons including med~cal
(b) prov~defor f~nancialassistance to the non-Governmental organizat~ons
and associations wh~chcame forward to take care of mentally retarded persons,
I) prov~dcbarr~crfree environment In publ~cplaces, work places, schools.
(d) prov~dearnenlt~esfor sett~ngup of spec~alschools In private sector fcr
those In need of spec~alcducat~onIn such a manner that the ch~ldrenw~thd~sab~llt~es
have access to such schools,
(e) prov~defo, training to d~sabledpersons by the non-Governmental
(f) provldz for subs~dyto needy employers who employ disabled persons
(g) perform such other functions as may be prescribed by the Government
(2) The Board shall submit to the Government, as soon as may be, after the
first day of April every year, the annual report on the activities of the Board during the
preceding year ending on thirty-first March of that year. Every report so received shall be
laid, as soon as may be, after it is received before the Legislative Assembly if it is in
session, or in the session immediately following the date of receipt of the report.
(3) In the discharge of its functions, the Board shall be bound by such directions
as the Government may, for reasons to be stated in writing, give ‘o it from time to time
Committee. 5. (1) The Government may, by order, constitute one or more committees with
members nominated by the Board and such committees shall be presided by an offic~al
nominated by the Government.
(2) The commit!ee shall perform s~rchduties as may be entrusted by the Board
from time to time.
- (1) There !hall be a Fund constituted in the name and style as the -Tam11
Nadu Welfare Fund fc r the Disabled Persons” and all moneys received from the sources
specified below shall be credited to such Fund namely:-
(a) grants rece~vedfrom the Government for the purposes of carrying out
the functions of the Board,
(b) funds raised through donations from various institutions, philanthropists
and by organizing cultural programmes; and
(c) funds rece~vedfrom any other sources as may be prescr~bed
(2) The Boara shall hold the Fund In any or,e of the Nationalised Banks ~n
accordance wlth the ~nsiructionsof the Government Such aq account shall be jo~ntly
operated by any two of tCle authorized slgnator~esof the Board, one of them be~ngthe
(3) All the expenditure including cont~ngentexpenditures relat~ngto the welfare
of the d~sabledpersons shall be met from the Fund
- (1) The Board shall rna~ntainproper accounts and other relevant records and
prepare an annual statement of accounts, ~ncludlnga balance-sheet in such form
as may be prescribed.
(2) The account of the Board shall be aud~tedannually by such quallf~ed
persons as the Government may appo~ntIn ti-IS behalf.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information by Blinkvisa. The contents of this document have been obtained from sources Blinkvisa believes to be reliable. These contents have not been independently verified, and PRS makes no representation or warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or correctness. In some cases the Principal Act and/or Amendment Act may not be available. Principal Acts may or may not include subsequent amendments. For authoritative text, please contact the relevant state department concerned or refer to the latest government publication or the gazette notification. Any person using this material should take their own professional and legal advice before acting on any information contained in this document. Blinkvisa or any persons connected with it do not accept any liability arising from the use of this document. Blinkvisa or any persons connected with it shall not be in any way responsible for any loss, damage, or distress to any person on account of any action taken or not taken on the basis of this document.