The answer to this question is a resounding “NO.” However, you will still need to provide proof of a flight ticket for visa application purposes. This article will guide you on how to meet this requirement without actually booking a flight. In fact, based on our experience processing over 30,000 visas per month, more than 30% of our customers have successfully applied for visas without booking flights in advance.
The good news is that many embassies are aware of this practice and tend to be lenient regarding the flight booking requirement, even if their websites or official visa requirements have not been updated. In most cases, having a flight itinerary for visa application purposes or presenting it at the immigration queue is sufficient.
How to obtain a visa without initially booking a flight ticket? What should you do if your visa is denied after booking a flight?
You can provide a flight itinerary for your visa application instead of purchasing a fully paid flight ticket. This way, you can safeguard yourself from financial loss in case your visa is denied. Various online services offer flight itineraries, and one frequently used by our customers is FlightGen App.
Add the line “A flight itinerary from a visa agent. The same will be ticketed once my visa is approved” when creating your cover letter and you are good to go (We use BlinkDocs App to create cover letter)
We use FlightGen app to create flight itinerary This method functions similarly to booking an actual flight ticket. It allows us to choose the flight we intend to take if our visa is approved, ensuring a smoother process at immigration. Additionally, we have the flexibility to select our preferred currency rather than being limited to USD.
Another alternative is to purchase a fully refundable flight ticket, which can be quite costly and, in some instances, challenging to obtain a refund for. Additionally, you might require multiple flight tickets as evidence of your travel plans. Therefore, it’s advisable to utilize services like FlightGen, which enables you to create unlimited flight itineraries for a fee of $15.
The decision largely hinges on your specific circumstances.
If you are confident in your ability to secure a visa, then booking the flight ticket in advance might be a sensible choice.
Nonetheless, if there is any doubt regarding your visa approval, it would be advisable to initiate the visa application process first and hold off on booking your flight ticket.
By doing so, if your visa application is declined after purchasing a ticket, you can avoid squandering funds on an unneeded plane ticket!
What should I do if the consulate requests proof of a return or onward flight ticket, but I’m uncertain about my return date?
In such a situation, you can utilize the FlightGen App to your advantage. Obtain a temporary flight itinerary from them with a tentative return date (ensuring that this date falls beyond your intended duration of stay), and use it as your visa application proof. After your visa gets approved, you can proceed to make an actual flight booking when you have a clear return date in mind. Anna Emilia provides further insight into this approach.
Is a visa required to purchase airline tickets?
While it is technically possible to book a flight ticket without having a visa in hand, it is generally not recommended by most embassies. They have explicitly stated on multiple occasions that they are not responsible for any losses incurred if your visa application is rejected, even if you have a valid ticket.
Moreover, many airlines are obligated to confirm that passengers possess a valid visa for their intended destination country before allowing them to board the flight. It is far more preferable to secure your visa before making any flight bookings to avoid the risk of being denied entry upon arrival in the destination country. One traveler has shared their perspective on this matter, emphasizing the importance of obtaining a visa prior to booking any flights.
Is it wise to purchase a plane ticket before receiving the visa?
The decision to book a flight ticket before visa approval or not depends on various factors, including your individual circumstances and the visa requirements of the country you plan to visit. Here are some considerations to help you make the decision:
- Visa Requirements: Check the visa requirements of the country you intend to visit. Some countries may require you to provide a flight itinerary or proof of travel arrangements as part of the visa application process.
- Visa Approval Likelihood: Assess your chances of getting the visa approved. If you are confident that you meet all the visa requirements and have a high likelihood of approval, you may consider booking a flight ticket.
- Flexible Booking Options: Look for airlines and booking options that offer flexibility in case your visa is rejected. Some airlines allow you to book refundable or changeable tickets with minimal fees.
- Financial Risk: Consider the financial risk of booking a flight ticket in advance. If your visa is rejected, you may lose the money spent on the ticket unless it’s refundable or changeable.
- Temporary Flight Itinerary: Some travelers use temporary flight itineraries or flight reservation services to fulfill the visa requirement without making a full booking. These services provide a reservation that can be canceled or changed without significant cost.
- Consult the Embassy/Consulate: If you are unsure about the visa requirements or whether to book a ticket, it’s advisable to contact the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit for guidance.
- Personal Preferences: Your personal preferences and risk tolerance play a role in the decision. Some travelers prefer to have a confirmed ticket before applying for a visa, while others choose to wait until the visa is approved.
In summary, there is no one-size-fits-all answer, and the decision to book a flight ticket before visa approval depends on your specific situation. It’s essential to consider the visa requirements, your confidence in visa approval, and the booking options available to make an informed decision.
Is it acceptable to reserve a dummy flight ticket with a PNR for visa application purposes?
No, it is not advisable to book a fake flight ticket with a PNR for visa application purposes. Many applicants have faced difficulties and even visa rejections due to the submission of fraudulent documents. It is better to be honest and declare in your cover letter that you are providing a flight itinerary and will purchase the actual ticket once your visa is approved. In some cases, you may be required to submit a genuine flight ticket or provide proof of funds to purchase one, which is a more reliable and legitimate approach than using fake information.
Do you need real tickets to apply for a Schengen visa?
Exactly, using a genuine flight itinerary instead of a dummy ticket is the correct approach when applying for a Schengen visa. Embassies and consulates generally accept flight itineraries and often advise applicants not to book actual flight tickets until their visas are approved to avoid potential financial losses. Providing accurate information and following the embassy’s guidelines is essential for a successful visa application process.
Do I get a travel itinerary to present immigration officials for a visa without paying?
FlightGen app.users can book flights for $10. FlightGen software lets you add co-passengers for free.
In 2023, they offer limitless 24-hour flight itineraries for $15, a great price.