Whenever you apply for a tourist or business visa, most consulates want you to submit a detailed day wise travel itinerary for visa processing. But how to write one ? Is there a format for travel itinerary ?
This article makes it clear how to create a travel itinerary for your visa application in 5 minutes along with it’s relation with a personal cover letter for visa.
P.S : Many of you have been asking us if travel itinerary is the same as flight itinerary. No it is not. We will explain the difference further. If you are in a hurry and want to get your travel itinerary along with cover letter you can use our service below and we can make it for you.
Want us to make your travel itinerary
with cover letter @ just $10 ?
What does a travel itinerary mean for a visa purpose ?
A travel itinerary is a day-wise breakup of what you intend to do once your visa is approved. Ideally, you must cover all the days between the start and end days of your trip. The typical structure of a travel itinerary is
date: Plan for that day.
Example : 12 Dec : Land in Paris & check-in to my Hostel (Baraght Hostel)
You will create the same plan as shown above for your entire trip.
Is a travel itinerary same as flight itinerary ?
No. The flight itinerary is information about the flight you are taking for your trip such as flight number, travel dates, layover time and price whereas travel itinerary explains the travel itself such as what you intend to do once you get there. So they both are different.
You can read our article about flight itinerary for visa to know more about flight itinerary.
How do I present my travel itinerary to the embassy ?
Our recommended method is to add your travel itinerary in your personal cover letter for visa itself. That way you can cover two requirement in one document and make your visa process simpler.
The main purpose of a travel itinerary is to provide the following information about your trip. Such as:
- What is your purpose of your travel ? (Example, backpacking, honeymoon, to visit friend/relative, for attending a trade fair or event)
- What should be the validity period of your visa, if Approved ? (If you are travelling for 20 days, then your visa will have a validity of 22 days from the trip start date )
- Should you get a Single entry or multiple entry visa ? (Example : If you plan to travel to London during your Europe trip, then you need to have a multiple entry visa otherwise you will not be allowed to re-enter Schengen area).
Sample travel itinerary for visa application
Here is a sample template for a detailed travel itinerary for Schengen visa applicants . In this example the applicant is travelling for 20 days between September 10 to September 30 2022.
- Sep 10, 2022 : Depart from New York & Land in Zurich.Check in to my hotel
- Sep 11, 2022 : Day trip to Swiss Villages in Interlaken & Grindelwald with a local friend
- Sep 12, 2022 : Walk around Zurich touristic highlights . In the evening go on Felsenegg CableCar
- and Ferry Ride
- Sep 13, 2022 : Take a train to Bern and checkin to my hotel (Hotel EinstienHaus)
- Sep 14, 2022 : Take a day tour with a professionaltour guide and In the evening enjoy cheese and
- Fondue tasting.
- Sep 15, 2022 : Visit Einstein house and in the evening depart to Geneva
- Sep 16, 2022 : Take Geneva hop on Hop offtour.
- Sep 17, 2022 : Visit st PierreCathedral & in the evening take a stroll around the city landmarks.
- Sep 18, 2022 : Take a rental car from Geneva to LakeComo.Checkin to my hotel (Olendra Inn)
- Sep 19, 2022 : Enjoy the day around LakeComo
- Sep 20, 2022 : Depart to Milan and visit Duomo.Check in to my hotel (Casa Dumo de Milano)
- Sep 21, 2022 : Take a train to Venice & check in to my hotel (Hotel deVenezia)
- Sep 22, 2022 : Spend the day around Venice & check out Academia.
- Sep 23, 2022 : Visit the islands in Venice like Murano Burano & Lido
- Sep 24, 2022 : LeaveVenice to Florence.Check in to my hotel (Titillia Inn)
- Sep 25, 2022 : Take a city tour with a professional guide around Florence. In the evening Enjoy
- local food and music.
- Sep 26, 2022 : Take a Day tour to Monaco.
- Sep 27, 2022 : Fly to France from Florence.
- Sep 28, 2022 : Enjoy Eiffel Tower and Sienna riverCruise in the evening.
- Sep 29, 2022 : Rent a car and visit Versailes
- Sep 30, 2022 : Leave Paris and back to my home in New York
How to get Travel itinerary for visa ? Is there an app or a website who can help with this ?
First of all you will need to plan the trip yourself. That means, if you are going to Europe you must at least know which countries (Schengen visa) and which cities that you are planning to visit along with a vague idea of what you are planning to do there.
Once you have this you can use the below website to make your travel itinerary along with a personal cover letter and download it as a PDF.
Here is a sample travel itinerary for visa.
Create your travel Itinerary
for visa in 5 minutes !!
Want us to make your Cover letter @ just $10 ?
Is travel itineary required for Schengen visa Application ?
Yes. A cover letter is a mandatory document when applying for Schengen visa. As per the VFS website you need to bring a cover letter during your Schengen visa appointment.
Although many treat the cover letter and travel itinerary as two separate entities, the best way would be to create a common document for both the requirements. The next section deals with travel itinerary.